Serves 8 to 12
This moist cake is a great fall and winter dessert. You'll enjoy the classic combination of apples, cinnamon, walnuts paired with SCHARFFEN BERGER chocolate. Serve for Sunday brunch, a weeknight dessert, or afternoon tea. It is wonderful just out of the oven but it stays moist and delicious for several days, if you can keep it around that long!
Expand/Collapse Ingredient Details
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar plus 3 tablespoons reserved for topping
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 to 3 apples, peeled, cored, chopped to measure 3 cups
- 1-1/2 cups toasted*, chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup (4 ounces) SCHARFFEN BERGER 62% Cacao Semisweet Chocolate Chunks or coarsely chopped SCHARFFEN BERGER 62% Cacao Semisweet Chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* To toast the walnuts, spread them on a baking sheet in a preheated 300 degree oven for 7 to 10 minutes until they smell fragrant and taste toasted. Cool completely before using
- 9 x 13 inch cake pan, greased
Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
Beat the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until well blended after each addition. Beat in the lemon juice followed by the milk.
Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add it to the butter and egg mixture and beat just until combined.
Mix in the apples, 1 cup of the toasted walnuts (reserving the rest for the topping) and the chopped chocolate.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 3 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle the mixture on top of the cake.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the cake is firm and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool on a rack.