Makes 16 brownies
Inspired by SCHARFFEN BERGER Natural Cocoa Powder, Alice Medrich created these decadent, soft-centered brownies, with their slightly chewy, candy-like, tops. Watch Alice Make These Brownies and to Learn More About Natural Cocoa Powder.
Expand/Collapse Ingredient Details
- Scant 1 cup (3 ounces) SCHARFFEN BERGER Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder
- 11 tablespoons (5.5 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1-1/4 cups (8.75 ounces) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cold eggs
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon (1.78 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (3.5 ounces) walnut or pecan pieces, optional
- 8-inch square pan, bottom and sides lined with parchment paper or foil
Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees.
Melt the butter in a medium heatproof bowl set in a wide skillet of barely simmering water. Add the sugar cocoa and salt. Stir until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot. Remove the bowl from the skillet and set aside briefly until the mixture is only warm, not hot. Mix in the vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing vigorously with a spatula after each one. When the mixture looks thick, shiny and well blended, add all of the flour at once and stir until you cannot see it any longer. Then mix vigorously 40 strokes with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Stir in the nuts if using. Spread evenly in the lined pan. Bake until a toothpick plunged into the center emerges slightly dirty looking, 20-25 minutes. Cool on a rack. Lift the edges of the parchment or foil liner and transfer the brownies to a cutting board. Brownies can be stored, airtight, for 2-3 days.