Makes approximately 40 cookies or 20 sandwich cookies.
(Recipe adapted from The Essence of Chocolate: Recipes for Baking and Cooking With Fine Chocolate (Hyperion, 2006) By John Scharffenberger and Robert Steinberg.)
These thin, crisp, old-fashioned cookies really play well with the flavor of any SCHARFFEN BERGER Chocolate.
Expand/Collapse Ingredient Details
- 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats (not instant)
- 1/3 cup (generous 2-1/2 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon dark rum
- 2 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 82% Cacao Extra Dark Chocolate (or any other SCHARFFEN BERGER Chocolate you like), melted and still warm
Position the racks in the lower and upper thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and oats. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the butter, cream, corn syrup, vanilla, and rum. Stir until smooth. Slowly add the dry ingredients, stirring to combine.
Drop about 3/4 of a teaspoon of the batter onto the prepared baking sheets. Make the cookies as close in size as possible. Place only 12 cookies on each baking sheet (four rows of three), as they will spread considerably.
Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, rotating once halfway through baking. Remove from the oven and let stand on the sheets for 1 to 2 minutes. If any of the cookies have run together, cut them apart, then transfer the cookies to cooling racks to cool completely.
For individual cookies, simply drizzle the top of each cookies with melted chocolate. For Sandwich cookies, choose 2 cookies that are similar in shape. Drizzle the bottom of one cookie with melted chocolate and spread with a small offset spatula. Sandwich with the second cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies.
The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.