This dark chocolate peppermint tart is the perfect holiday dessert. It's made using Scharffen Berger 100% Unsweetened Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder and Scharffen Berger 70% Bittersweet Baking Portions, which give the tart and amazingly rich dark chocolate flavor.
For the chocolate cookie crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Scharffen Berger 100% Unsweetened Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter cold, chopped
For the chocolate ganache filling:
- 12 ounces Scharffen Berger 70% Bittersweet Dark Chocolate Baking Portions 3
- full bars
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candy canes reserve half for topping
To make the chocolate cookie crust:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, powdered
sugar, cocoa powder, salt).
3. Chop the cold butter into 1-2 centimeter cubes and add it to the dry ingredients. Use your fingers, forks, or a pastry cutter to work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Any leftover butter chunks shouldn't be larger than a pea.
4. Add the egg and heavy cream and mix together until all of the dry ingredients
have been coated. *I usually use my hands at the end of mixing to make sure
everything is well incorporated
5. Work the dough into a ball and place it on a clean, well-floured surface. Use a
rolling pin to roll the dough into a circle large enough to cover your tart pan.
6. Carefully lift the dough and place it in your tart pan. Press the dough down, trim the edges off (no dough should be hanging over the side) and use excess dough to fix any holes.
7. Use a fork to evenly prick the dough on the bottom of the pan (8-10 times) to
avoid bubbles when baking.
8. Bake the crust for 15-20 minutes or until the dough is no longer shiny and it
9. Remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool.
To make the chocolate ganache filling:
1. Heat the heavy cream in the microwave or using a double boiler technique until it is almost boiling.
2. Coarsely chop the chocolate baking portions and pour them into the hot cream.
3. Stir the mixture until it is smooth. Return it to the double boiler or microwave for short periods if necessary and mix until all of the chocolate is melted and the
mixture is smooth.
4. Add the peppermint extract and mix until combined.
5. Add half of the crushed candy canes. Mix until combined.
To assemble the tart:
1. Pour the chocolate over the baked tart crust and spread it until it's smoothly and evenly distributed throughout the pan.
2. Sprinkle the remaining crushed candy canes over the top of the tart for additional decoration.
3. Place the tart in the fridge to allow the chocolate to set (about 30 minutes).
4. I prefer to enjoy this at room temperature!