This riff on the classic cake makes a quick and delicious dessert, full of fruit-forward flavors and rich, dark chocolate yumminess!
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: One 8-inch square pan
- 1/2 Cup Scharffen Berger 100% Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Stick Unsalted butter, cut into 1" pieces
- 1/3 Cup Scharffen Berger Semisweet (70%) chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 1/4 Cup Granulated sugar
- 2 Large Eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Scharffen Berger Dark semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1/2 Cup Maraschino cherries, stem-free at room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 335F (170C) and line one 8-inch square pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Cut the cherries in half, then spread them over a paper towel. Swirl them around to remove access liquid.
3. Over a double broiler or stove, melt the butter, dark chocolate, and water. Add the cocoa powder and mix until blended.
4. Mix in the sugar using a whisk, then whisk in the eggs.
5. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt, then fold them into the chocolate mixture.
6. Fold in the cherries and chocolate.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake on the middle shelf for 27-28 minutes, until a toothpick comes out from the center of the pan with wet, moist crumbs.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Expert tips and notes:
Make sure all of the ingredients are at room temperature.
You can use 70% or 62% dark chocolate chunks. Store at room temperature, covered for up to 5 days. You can freeze the brownies in a freezer bag for up to 8 weeks. Allow to reach room temperature before serving. Add one teaspoon of almond extract to the chocolate mixture for a more robust cherry flavor. You can also use frozen or fresh cherries.
Created by Dee Frances,