Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Servings 16 servings
- 1/2 Cup Scharffen Berger 100% Cacao Unsweetened Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder (45 g / 1.5 oz)
- 1 1/2 Cups Heavy whipping cream (360 ml / 12 fl oz)
- 11 TBSP Unsalted butter, cut into 1" pieces (160 g / 5.5 oz)
- 3/4 Cup Scharffen Berger 99% Cacao Unsweetened Dark Chocolate, chopped (120 g / 4 oz)
- 1/2 Cup Light brown sugar (100 g / 3.5 oz)
- 1 Cup Granulated sugar (200 g / 7 oz)
- 4 Large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Cup All-purpose flour (120 g / 4 oz)
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Scharffen Berger 62% Cacao Semisweet Dark Chocolate, chopped (170 g / 6 oz)
- 2 Tablespoon Vegetable oil (30 ml)
- Make ahead: Place the cocoa powder in a medium bowl (preferably a stainless steel bowl). Bring the heavy cream to a soft boil, then gradually pour the cream over the cocoa powder while stirring to prevent clumps. Let sit for 10 minutes then place in the refrigerator to completely cool, about 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C), and grease 8 cups Bundt pan with butter or a baking oil spray.
- Over a double boiler, or in the microwave, melt the butter, chopped chocolate, and light brown sugar.
- Transfer the melted mixture to a large bowl then mix in the granulated sugar. Mix in the eggs one at a time. Set aside to allow the mixture to dissolve the sugar for about 10 minutes stirring 2-3 times. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Use a hand mixer to whip the cool heavy cream until a stiff peak is formed.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture then fold in the whipped cream. (Start by mixing in 1/4 of the cream then fold in the rest)
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 35-38 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs from the center of the cake.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for 15 minutes then invert the cake onto your serving plate.
- Serve with melted chocolate, whipped cream, or ice cream.
- Melt the chocolate, and mix in the vegetable oil until smooth, drizzle over the cake.
- Be sure to pour the boiled cream over the cocoa powder about 2 hours ahead of time and allow it to cool in the refrigerator. If it does not cool completely, the cream will not whip.
- Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature, excluding the cocoa whipped cream.
- To make cupcakes: divide the batter between 18 cupcake liners and fill each up to 3/4 full. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs from the center of the cupcakes.
- To make layer cake: divide the batter between 3 6-inch baking pans and bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs from the center of the cakes. For an 8-inch layer cake, double the recipe of 1.5 (instead of 4 eggs, use six eggs as an example) and divide the cake between 3 8-inch cake pans. Bake for 25-28 minutes.
- The cake is best stored at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Recipe courtesy of onesarcasticbaker.