Dee Frances of OneSarcasticBaker.com created this show-stopping dessert featuring tender chocolate cake layers with creamy chocolate filling in between and topped off with a dramatic chocolate ganache drip. It’s as impressive to taste as it is to look at!
Chocolate sponge cake
- 6 Large Egg, at room temperature
- 1 Cup Granulated sugar (200g)
- 2/3 Cup Cake flour (80g)
- 1/3 Cup Scharffen Berger cocoa powder (35g)
- 1/2 Cup Cornstarch (55g)
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted melted butter (55g)
- 2 1/2 Cups Heavy whipping cream (600ml)
- 1/2 Cup Scharffen Berger Cocoa powder (45g)
- 1/2 Cup Granulated sugar (100g)
- 2 Cups Water (or milk) (480ml)
- 1 1/2 Cups Granulated sugar (300g)
- 2/3 Cup Chopped Scharffen Berger 70% Cacao dark chocolate (113g)
- 1/2 Cup Heavy cream (120ml)
To make the sponge cake
- Preheat oven to 350F(180C) and line two 7-inch or 8-inch pans with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and cornstarch three times and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip the eggs and sugar until triple in volume and light in color.
- Fold the flour mixture into three parts, Followed by the melted butter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake over the middle rack for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before inverting and filling.
To Make the cream
- Measure the cocoa powder, sugar, and heavy cream in a large bowl and whip until thick.
- Over medium heat, bring the heavy cream to a simmer
- Remove from the heat, mix in the chopped chocolate, and let sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Use a wooden spoon or a spatula to stir using until smooth gently.
- Bring the water and sugar to a boil, then let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Slice the cakes into two layers. (optional). Place a cake layer over a cake board or your serving plate.
- Soak the cake with 1/2 cup of simple syrup, then spread 1/2 cup of the filling.
- Repeat with the remaining layers.
- Coat the cake with a thin layer of cream, then place the cake in the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and frost the cake with the remaining frosting. Refrigerate for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and use a spoon to drizzle the ganache about 1/4-inch away from the edges of the cake.
- Drizzle more ganache at the center of the cake top and gently spread it using an offset spatula.
- To coat the entire cake with chocolate ganache, place the cake over a wire rack lined over a baking tray. Use a measuring cup to pour the ganache over the cake, starting with the edges and sides, then the center. Allow the ganache to set in the refrigerator or the freezer before moving it to a serving plate.
- Allow the ganache to set before slicing or moving the cake to a serving plate, and do not touch it; your fingerprints will show.
- Serve the cake at room temperature; the cream should be refrigerated within four hours.
- The chocolate cream is good for up to 3 days when refrigerated.
- Do not open the oven door mid-baking; the cake will collapse.
Recipe by: www.onesarcasticbaker.com