Homemade chocolate waffles are the perfect breakfast, snack, and chocolate-lover recipe. These waffles are crispy on the outside, light and tender on the inside, and easy and fun to make. Using the Sweetheart Waffler from Nordic Ware adds a little extra love—perfect for Valentine’s Day or any other day you want to spoil your sweetie(s)!
Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 30 minutes Total Time 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 Cup Milk (360ml/12floz)
- 1/2 cup Scharffen Berger Unsweetened cocoa powder (50g/2oz)
- 1/3 cup chopped Scharffen Berger 62% semisweet dark chocolate (two baking portions) (60g/2oz)
- 2 Large eggs, separated
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable oil (50ml/2floz)
- 1 1/4 Cup All-purpose flour (150g/5oz)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100g/3.5oz)
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 Large Egg whites
For the chocolate syrup
- 1 cup Scharffen Berger 55% dark milk chocolate + maple sugar baking chunks (170g/6oz)
- 1 cup heavy cream (240ml/8floz)
Making the waffles
- Bring the milk to a simmer, and place the cocoa powder and chopped chocolate in a large bowl.
- Pour the milk over the chocolates, then stir until the chocolate is melted.
- Add the vegetable oil and egg yolks to the chocolate milk mixture.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a separate large bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and mix just to blend.
- Place the egg whites in a separate large bowl or a stand mixer bowl, then whip until on high until stiff pick and no longer transparent.
- Fold the meringue into the chocolate waffle batter.
- Pour one cup of the batter into a medium-heat warmed waffle maker. Cook for three minutes on each side.
- Use a fork to gently lift the waffles and place them over a wire rack to cool.
- Serve immediately topped with your chocolate sauce and your choice of toppings.
Making the chocolate syrup
- Place the chocolate chunks in a large bowl.
- Bring the heavy cream to a simmer, then pour it over the chocolate chunks. Cover with a plate or plastic wrap and sit for a few minutes to allow the chocolate to melt.
- Gently mix the chocolate with a whisk or a wooden spoon until smooth. Pour over the waffles.
Recipe from Dee Frances, https://www.onesarcasticbaker.com/