Semifreddo is such an easy way to have ice cream without going through the whole process. In just a few simple steps you can be eating a beautifully sweet and creamy milk chocolate semifreddo served with a decadent 99% Dark Chocolate magic shell.
Scharffen Bergers 41% extra rich chocolate bar is the perfect balance of cream and chocolate. Pairing that with Scharffen Berger's 99% Cacao Unsweetened Dark Chocolate Baking Portions allows chocolate lovers to indulge in chocolatey goodness.
- 1 3 oz Scharffen Berger 41% Extra Rich Milk Chocolate Bar
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream (350 ml)
- 3 large egg whites
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (80 grams)
Magic Shell Ingredients:
- (6) 1 oz portions of Scharffen Berger 99% Unsweetened Dark Chocolate Baking Portions
- ¼ cup of coconut oil (2 oz)
- 2 Tbs powdered sugar (optional)
- 2 Tbs vanilla extract (optional)
Start by making the Semifreddo.
- First you will want to melt your Scharffen Berger 41% extra rich milk chocolate bar. You can melt it in a microwave for a few seconds at a time or preferable over a double boil. Set this aside.
- Whip the heavy cream with the honey and vanilla extract to a stiff peek. Put in a bowl and keep chilled.
- Whip the egg whites with the lemon juice. (This helps stabilize the eggs.)
- Whip the egg yolks and slowly add the sugar to encourage aeration. Whip till you have a nice fluffy mixture.
- Take the two whipped egg mixtures and fold together with a rubber spatula. Try not to deflate this mixture.
- Take the chilled whipped cream and fold that into the egg mixture until well combined.
- Finally add the melted 41% extra rich milk chocolate to the mix and keep folding.
- Place the Semifreddo in a freezer safe container or individual ramekins. (I prefer to use silicone molds.) Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Now it’s time to make the magic happen! (Magic shell)
- Over a double boil melt the (6) 1 oz portions of Scharffen Berger 99% dark chocolate. Once completely melted remove from heat.
- Add the ¼ cup of coconut oil and mix well.
- Sweeten the magic shell to your liking by adding the powder sugar and vanilla extract quickly. Adjust as needed.
- Store at room temp in an airtight container like a mason jar. Reheat in the microwave or in a hot water bath.
To sever simply take the Semifreddo out of the freezer and temper. Run a spoon under hot water and scoop. You can also pop the Semifreddo out of the container and slice it. Drizzle the magic shell on top and watch it turn to a hard shell within seconds just like magic! Add a little sprinkle of Maldon salt/finishing salt and enjoy!
Created by Pastry Chef Sarah Pineda