|For the Marshmallows *|
|2||envelopes Knox unflavored gelatin|
|1/2 cup||cold water|
|2 cups||granulated sugar|
|2/3 cup||corn syrup|
|1 tablespoon||vanilla extract|
|For the Graham Crackers **|
|1/2 stick (4 tablespoons)||unsalted butter|
|1-1/2 cups||graham or whole wheat flour|
|3/4 cup||unbleached white flour|
|1/2 teaspoon||baking soda|
To Make the Marshmallows
1. Prepare a 9x13-inch or 8x13-inch glass baking pan by sprinkling the bottom generously with powdered sugar.
2. Pour 1/2 cup cold water over 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
3. Measure 2 cups sugar, 2/3 cup corn syrup and 1/4 cup water into a heavy saucepan. Using a narrow, deeper saucepan works better than a wider, more shallow one. This helps in terms of tracking the temperature. Bring the mixture to a boil and continue boiling until it reaches 250 degrees F, the hard ball stage in candy making.
4. With the paddle attachment of the stand mixer in place, and with the mixer running on low speed, slowly pour the sugar mixture into the gelatin. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt. Increase the mixer speed to high.
5. Continue beating on high speed for 10 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and let it sit overnight to dry.
7. Combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 cup potato starch on a plate for dredging the marshmallows. Using a pizza cutter or just a sharp knife, cut the marshmallows into the desired shapes. Dredge them in the combined powdered sugar/potato starch mixture on all sides.
* You might want to start the marshmallows the night before because they need to sit overnight to dry.
To Make the Graham Crackers
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment or aluminum foil.
2. Combine the sugar, butter and egg in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Stir in the honey.
3. Stir together the graham or whole wheat flour, unbleached white flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add to the butter mixture in two parts.
4. Dust a surface with the graham or whole wheat flour. Form the dough into a ball and roll out to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut the dough into 2 dozen crackers or cracker size and shape of your choosing. Prick each cracker with the tines of a fork.
5. Move to the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 6 to 9 minutes or until a deep golden brown.
6. Cool on a rack.
** Graham flour is hard to find. It is technically winter wheat flour with the germ left in. For this recipe, you can use a mixture of whole wheat flour and unbleached white flour with successful results.
Assembling the S'Mores
1. Place graham crackers on cookie sheet. Top with your desired SCHARFFEN BERGER chocolate. We particularly like to use the SCHARFFEN BERGER 82% Cacao Extra Dark Chocolate. The flavors go very well with the sweetness of the marshmallow.
2. Top the chocolate with a marshmallow.
3. Put the tray under a broiler and carefully watch so the marshmallow browns but does not burn.