Alice Medrich’s Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Classic chocolate chunk cookies with crisp edges, chewy centers, and lots of SCHARFFEN BERGER chocolate flavor. Bake on an ungreased, unlined cookie sheet for best results.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (packed) brown sugar, lump free
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups SCHARFFEN BERGER 62% Cacao Semisweet Chocolate Baking Chunks or SCHARFFEN BERGER 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking
- 2 cookie sheets, ungreased
1. Combine the flour and baking soda in a bowl and mix together thoroughly with a whisk or a fork. Set aside.
2. Cut the butter into chunks and melt it in a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Mix in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture just until all of the dry ingredients are moistened. Let the mixture and the pan cool. Stir in the chocolate chunks and the nuts. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Position the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Remove the dough from the refrigerator to soften. Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough and place them 3 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Bake for about 9 to 11 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown at the edges and no longer look wet on top. Rotate baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back about halfway through the baking time to ensure even baking. Remove from the oven and let cookies firm up on the pan for 1 to 2 minutes. Use a metal pancake turner to transfer them to rack to cool completely before storing or stacking. May be stored in a tightly sealed container for several days.