Alice Medrich's Cocoa Fudge Sauce or Frosting
This easy, amazing sauce was developed specifically to showcase the flavors of SCHARFFEN BERGER Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 - 1/2 cups SCHARFFEN BERGER Natural Cocoa Powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
1. Melt the butter in a small heavy saucepan over low heat. Stir in the sugar, cocoa, and salt. Gradually stir in the cream. Continue stirring constantly until the mixture is shiny and smooth and hot, but not simmering. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, if using.
2. To use for sauce, spoon over ice cream while warm. To use as frosting, set aside until completely cool, thickened and spreadable. Sauce may be reheated in the microwave on low power or in a bowl set directly in a pan of barely simmering water.