Carrot Cream Cheese Ice Cream Bars
Rich, creamy carrot cake ice cream covered in a delightful hard SCHARFFEN BERGER chocolate shell. An elegant upgrade to the original ice cream bar.
- Ice Cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup carrot purée (carrot baby food works well or you could make your own)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 cups SCHARFFEN BERGER 62% Semi Sweet Chunks
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
1. Place the heavy cream, milk, turbinado sugar, cinnamon and corn syrup in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
2. Whisk the granulated sugar and the yolks together in a medium stainless steel bowl.
3. Once the cream mixture has come to a boil, remove it from heat. Using a ladle, slowly add a few ladles of the cream mixture to the yolk mixture, whisking the yolks vigorously the whole time; be careful not to cook the yolks.
4. Now whisk the yolk mixture into the pot containing the rest of the cream mixture and return the pot to the heat. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly.
5. The mixture will thicken slightly, it should coat the back of a spoon. Once it does so, remove from the heat, then stir the carrot purée and vanilla into the mixture.
6. Allow the mixture to cool in the refrigerator. Once cool, beat in the cream cheese with an electric mixer.
7. Place in an ice cream maker and churn until it is a soft-serve consistency. (Discard any extra mixture).
8. Spread ice cream on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and place in the freezer to set fully.
9. When the ice cream is set, cut it into 12 even bars and dip into the chocolate shell.
1. Place the chocolate and the coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each time, until fully melted.
2. Dip the ice cream bars in the chocolate; shell should harden quickly.