Chocolate Chunk Muffins
Rich chocolate SCHARFFEN BERGER baking chunks and tangy crème fraîche give these sweet, springy muffins their signature contrasting flavors. Mix by hand and serve warm.
- Butter and flour for the muffin cups (or paper liners)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup crème fraîche, homemade (recipe follows) or store-bought
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup SCHARFFEN BERGER 62% Cacao Semisweet Chocolate Chunks
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Muffin pan with 12 cups (3/4 cup capacity), buttered and floured or lined with paper muffin liners.
1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, and crème fraîche.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Add the butter-egg mixture and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
4. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the muffins spring back slightly when pressed in the center.
5. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
6. The muffins can be stored in an airtight container for 1 day. After that they begin to dry out and toughen.
To Make the Crème Fraîche
1. Stir together the cream and buttermilk in a medium bowl or storage container. Leave at room temperature, uncovered, overnight, to thicken.
2. Stir the thickened crème fraîche, cover, and refrigerate.
3. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.