This intensely flavorful sorbet was created by Claudia Fleming, pastry chef at Gramercy Tavern, New York city.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup SCHARFFEN BERGER Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder plus 1 tablespoon
- 9.75 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate (1 home chef bar)
- Ice cream maker
1. In a medium saucepan, combine 2-1/4 cups of water and the sugar, and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
2. Gradually add cocoa powder, whisking until smooth. Reduce heat to low, and cook mixture at a gentle simmer for 30 minutes, until syrupy.
3. Put chocolate in a large bowl, add half the cocoa syrup, whisking until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Add remaining syrup and whisk well.
4. Strain mixture through a fine sieve, and let cool. Stir in 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon of water.
5. Chill sorbet mixture covered until very cold, at least 4 hours. Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.