Three-time cookbook-of-the-year award-winning author Alice Medrich created these souffles especially for SCHARFFEN BERGER Chocolate.
- 8 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks at room temperature
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- • Lightly sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- • Butter and sugar to coat the soufflé cups
- EquipmeSeven or Eight 5 – 6 ounce soufflé cups
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter the bottom and sides of the soufflé cups and sprinkle with sugar.
2. Place the chocolate, butter, and milk in a large heat-proof bowl set in a wider skillet of barely simmering water. Stir the chocolate until melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat.
3. Whisk in egg yolks. Set aside.
4. In a large clean dry mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form when the beaters are lifted. Gradually sprinkle in sugar and continue to beat, at high speed, until the egg whites are stiff but not dry. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and then fold in the remaining egg whites.
5. Divide the mixture evenly among the prepared cups, filling them 3/4 or more full. (Soufflés may be prepared to this point, covered and refrigerated up to a day ahead).
6. Bake soufflés on a cookie sheet until they rise and crack on top and a wooden skewer poked into the center comes out moist but not completely gooey, 14-16 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and serve immediately with a slightly sweetened whipped cream.