SCHARFFEN BERGER Cocoa Chiffon Cake
Fluffy, airy, and topped with a thick, airy meringue, this cake was created by our friend, and award winning cookbook author, Flo Braker. Leave it to Flo to bring out the best inmeringue…pair it with SCHARFFEN BERGER chocolate!
- 1-1/2 cups unsifted cake flour
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup SCHARFFEN BERGER Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup (7 to 8 large egg whites)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 10-inch angel food cake pan, ungreased
1. Adjust rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 325 degrees. Sift flour, 1 1/3 cups sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda into a large 3-quart bowl. In another bowl, whisk cocoa and hot water until blended. When cocoa mixture is cool, add the oil and egg yolks and combine until smooth.
2. With an electric mixer on low speed, whip egg whites until small bubbles appear. Increase speed and add 1 teaspoon of the 2 tablespoons sugar, and whip until soft white peaks form. Maintaining the same speed, add remaining sugar and continue whipping until soft white, not dry peaks form.
3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the cocoa-egg mixture with a rubber spatula. Mix until smooth.
4. Scoop half of the meringue on to the cocoa mixture and fold to combine. Fold in remaining meringue until ingredients are combined. Pour into the pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until the top is cracked and it springs back slightly when touched. Invert over a long-necked bottle until cake is completely cool. Remove from pan.