SCHARFFEN BERGER Devil’s Food Cake
Devilishly rich and airy, this deeply chocolatey cake comes from David Lebovitz, author of Room For Dessert. Yes, please!
- 9 tablespoons SCHARFFEN BERGER Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder (for the cake)
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 1/2 cup milk
- 9.7 ounces (1 bar) SCHARFFEN BERGER 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate, coarsely chopped (for the frosting)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- Two 9x2-inch round cake pans
1. To make the Cake: Adjust the oven rack to the center of the oven and preheat to 350 F.
2. Butter the pans and line the bottoms with circles of parchment paper.
3. Sift together the cocoa, flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder into one bowl.
4. In a second bowl, beat the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes until smooth and creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated. (If using a standing electric mixer, stop the mixer as necessary to scrape down the sides to be sure everything is getting mixed in.)
5. Mix the coffee and milk together in a third bowl.
6. Stir half of the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, then add the coffee/milk mixture. Finish by stirring in the other half of the dry ingredients.
7. Divide the batter into the two prepared cake pans, spreading it evenly, and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
8. To make the frosting: Melt the chocolate with the water in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted. Remove the bowl from the pan of water.
9. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk them into the melted chocolate until completely melted and smooth. Cool until spreadable, about 1 hour at room temperature (or quicker in the refrigerator, stirring frequently until spreadable).
10. Serve the frosted cake with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla or caramel ice cream