Fallen Chocolate Soufflé Cake
Using both our 70% Cacao Bittersweet chocolate and 100% Cacao Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, this fallen cake will make you fall in love with chocolate! Remarkably, this rustic-looking and very chocolatey cake is both airy and complex. Serve plain or dressed with whipped cream and berries.
- 1/4 cup whole almonds
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
- 3 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup SCHARFFEN BERGER Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2-3 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Whipped cream and fresh berries, optional
1. Position a rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a food processor or blender, pulverize almonds with flour until very fine. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine chopped chocolate, cocoa, and 3/4 cup of the sugar. Add the boiling water. Whisk until chocolate is completely melted. Whisk in yolks and brandy. Set aside.
4. In a clean dry electric mixer bowl, beat the egg whites with cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form when the beaters are lifted. Gradually sprinkle in remaining sugar and beat on high speed until the eggs whites are stiff but not dry. Whisk the flour and almonds into chocolate mixture. Fold about one quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Fold in the remaining egg whites. Scrape batter into prepared pan; level the top if necessary.
5. Slide a small knife around the inside of the pan to detach the cake. Remove the sides of the pan and transfer the cake to a serving platter. (Cake may be completed to this point, covered and stored at room temperature for one day before serving, or wrapped airtight and frozen for up to two months).
6. To serve, sieve a little powdered sugar over the top. Serve at room temperature with berries and cream if you like.
NUTRITIONAL DATA PER SERVING (exclusive of cream and berries): 179 calories; 6.4 grams fat; 29% calories from fat; 4.2 grams protein; 30.2 grams carbohydrates; 42.4 Mg cholesterol.