John Scharffenberger’s Classic Drinking Chocolate
Using our 99% Cacao Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, this rich beverage is the essence of chocolate. It can be made up to three days ahead and refrigerated, where its flavor will intensify over time.
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 99% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Heat the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it is hot to the touch. Whisk in the chocolate and sugar and continue whisking for 1 to 2 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Whisk in the vanilla and the cinnamon and cayenne, if using. Reduce the heat to low. The chocolate may be made ahead; it will thicken as it sits.
2. Serve in demitasse cups or mugs depending on desired portion.
3. Note: For foamy hot chocolate, mix with an immersion blender just before serving. Or make hot chocolate ahead and reheat and froth it with the steam wand of an espresso machine. Or, top individual servings with frothed milk.