John Scharffenberger’s Favorite Brownies
Like Robert Steinberg, our other founder, John Scharffenberger also liked to play around with brownie recipes. These are a little more old fashioned and a little less intense than Robert's fudgy brownies, but they’re still very chocolaty and satisfying.
- 6 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F with a rack in the lower third. Butter a 9” x 13” baking pan (or line it with parchment paper)
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water, stirring frequently until smooth.
3. Remove the top of the double boiler and stir in the sugar. Add eggs one by one, stirring thoroughly after each on. Stir in the vanilla. Add the flour and stir until well blended. Stir in the nuts. Scrape the batter in the pan and spread it evenly.
4. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes up with crumbs (not batter). Cool the brownies in the pan.