Karen’s Working parent No-Fuss Brownies
These retro 60's brownies were the hands-down favorite among kindergarteners in a taste test done by Marin Day Schools Hills Plaza Dolphin Class. They know good chocolate when they try it – and SCHARFFEN BERGER’s 99% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate is good… very very good.
- 4 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 99% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 to 1-1/2 cups flour (use the lesser amount for a moister brownie)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9" x 12" (or 8" x 12") pan
2. Melt chocolate and butter over low heat in a large heavy sauce pan or Dutch oven. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in sugar with wooden spoon. Crack eggs into pot, add vanilla, and mix (dirtying a whisk is optional).
3. Gently pour the flour, salt, and baking powder on top of the gooey chocolate mixture. Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder into the flour with a fork without digging into the chocolate.
4. Grab your wooden spoon and stir everything together just until all flour is incorporated. Do not overbeat.
5. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes (check at 20). Brownies are done when toothpick comes out pretty clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pan, then cut into 2" squares.