SCHARFFEN BERGER Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Chef Joanne Chang developed these ridiculously yummy cookies to have tender centers and crunchy edges. Melt-in-your-mouth chocolatey goodness optimized with a combination of all-purpose and bread flours.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 9 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped into chip-size chunks
- 2-1/2 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 41% Cacao Milk Chocolate, chopped into chip-size chunks
1. Position the racks in the lower and upper thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.
2. Sift together both flours, the baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and both sugars on medium speed for about 5 minutes, or until pale, light, and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as necessary. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Scrape down the bowl. Reduce the speed to low, add the dry ingredients, and mix until the flour is completely blended, scraping the bowl as necessary.
4. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the chocolate chunks until evenly distributed. (The dough can be refrigerated, well wrapped, for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.)
5. Drop the dough by heaping tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto the prepared pans. Flatten each cookie slightly.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Transfer the cookies with a spatula to a cooling rack to cool completely.
7. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.